Diamond Sparkle Wish
70 x 90
EPP + Improv
This quilt is finished! I finished it a few months ago. Just in time- finished before I had my baby! For my 6 year old daughter. My second twin sized quit made for my kids beds. 2 done out of 5!
The English paper piecing purple section in the middle of the quilt began about 3 years ago. Many diamond purples in lots of purple shades. This quilt was always meant for my daughter who loves purple.
I had only done a little EPP and for some reason I used tracing paper because I thought that would be a good for weight and flexibility… I didn’t understand EPP and the reason for using a stiff paper. Use thicker paper than tracing paper! The points didn’t line up perfectly with the “soft” paper inside. I fudged them as I sewed them together. I worked on these diamonds off and on forever. While flying in planes or sitting in the passenger seat on long road trips, sitting in a hotel room… Any opportunity outside of the home when I had “nothing to do” I would work on these diamonds.
My English paper piecing to-go box.
I used a ladder stitch to stitch the diamonds together which takes longer than a whip stitch. I probably overdid it with the stitching but better now that it’s strong. Kids can be rough on things!
The purples were placed together with a lighter side and a darker side. I stared with a start in the middle and it grew from there. I designed the diamonds shape as I went. I stopped after it felt big enough.
For the improv part I arranged orange and peach strips on my felt design wall. It was tricky wrangling them. Long strips like to fall and roll down a wall!
Not easy basting on the floor at 9 months pregnant!
I placed the finished EPP piece onto the background, basted, then hand stitched around the edge. Next I machined top stitched around 1/8″ from the edge. Then turned everything over to the back and trimmed the orange background fabric close to the top stitching to reduce bulk.
For the quilting I echo quilted around the center diamond shape with a walking foot on my domestic machine. I used poly isocord thread for the quilting for its strength.
Better to get it done than wait for it to be perfect.
Minky for the backing and folded over for the binding. Clipped in place and machine sewed down.